Expert in Strategic Communication. High-Level Development Facilitator
Oana Marinescu is the founder and managing director of OMA Vision, a strategic communication and public affairs consulting company. To Oana OMA Vision is her most important and challenging professional project - one which naturally follows a career built up solely through developing complex projects and taking on daring challenges.
An expert in strategic communication for the political, diplomatic and high-level institutional environment, Oana creates and implements communication, PR & public affairs strategies with vision and credibility. She opens up new perspectives for positioning, action and growth, both for people and companies, treating the process as a privilege and a calling.
Due to a heightened sense of situational and contextual awareness, Oana has set off in the last decade a refreshing long-awaited change to the Romanian landscape of public debate, policy making, public perception and cross-cultural understanding. For her the question is never who's going to let me, but who's going to stop me now.WHY OANA
Because she lives by the belief that good communication is based on values - on sharing and standing by your own values, while understanding and respecting those of the people with whom you are communicating. And that a little empathy can go a long way. Her experience in facilitating multifaceted debates, in coordinating and presenting complex public events, and in converting wide-scope projects into reality - both at home and internationally - is rich and worthy to be put at work.
- Romania's Secretary of State and Government's Spokesperson, 2005 - 2007
- General Director for Public Diplomacy with Romanian Ministry of Foreign Affairs, 2008 - 2010
- Managing Director of OMA Vision, a Strategic Communication & PR Company since 2010
- OMA Vision's Communication Campaign for the George Enescu International Festival won the Golden Award for Communication in the Public Field and the Silver Award at the 'Culture, Arts, Fashion, Sports' category at the Romanian PR Award Gala, in 2013.
ENLIGHTENING LESSONS 2014
She will orchestrate one genuinely enlightening conversation with Felix Baumgartner, shedding absolute light on his matchless, fascinating journey he promised to share with us. A master of revealing human interactions, Oana will give us a glimpse of the intense beauty and strength human nature withholds behind the social masks which we feel compelled to wear every day. Your aha! moment, guaranteed.
1. What was your first job?
My dream was to be a journalist and change the world. I started living this dream when I was 19, reporting on domestic politics for a national newspaper.
2. Looking back, is there something that you would change regarding the past? What did you keep from that experience and what did you chose to change?
Time lies within. I see the past not as bygone time, but as the experience we've gained by doing things, making decisions, taking actions, and living our story. We may do right, we may do wrong, but trying to change the past is senseless. My choice is to assume mistakes and learn from them, as well as I learn from my good choices. I'm no longer a journalist, but I carry on taking actions to change the world regardless. Means are different. And maybe there is more wisdom.
3. What was your first business idea?
I wanted to be a communication consultant long time ago - first time in 2004, when I actually had my first experience of the kind.
4. Tell us about the people who influenced your career decisions and how/why.
I owe a lot to people I've met in my life, but I do believe that my career is the result of my values, my work and my fight. I often acted notwithstanding the people in my life and that advanced my growth a lot. I still owe them for the opportunity to take on the challenge of asserting who I am.
5. Have you experienced a life/perspective changing situation? Please share the context and impact?
Yes, I did. Precisely who I am today is the result of that life changing experience. It's hard to put the essence of life in a few written words, but the transformation started that moment is ongoing. And I'm happy with it.
6. What does "leadership" mean to you? Do you think that people can learn how to be authentic leaders, or is leadership a gift that you are born with?
I see leadership as the inner transformational force humans have in their nature, which allows them to become better persons and to contribute to the others, helping them grow and be better persons too. Some of us may have stronger innate leadership attributes, but I think the expression of leadership comes subsequent to a maturity process - ultimately, we may or may not become leaders. Awareness, self-awareness, education, life circumstances may all have a contribution to that. Also, our personal values and the choices we make based on them.
7. Which are your top five business values?
I set up my business based on my personal core values: love, freedom, balance, respect for the others, compassion, and empathy. In terms of public communication, as this is my field of expertise, these values set the grounds for the business ethical principles that guide our activity: respect for the public space, professionalism, responsibility, inclusiveness.
8. What is the one thing that can ruin or bring up a business?
Vision and Credibility. I see them together. Vision opens new horizons. Credibility gives you the resources to turn your vision into reality.
9. How would you describe the European business landscape (pros and cons)?
How about the Romanian market, any predictions for the following years?
I only hope for the better, and more responsibility.
10. How does the business model of the future look like?
More values and less greed will help us grow.
11. What are the first three things you value about people?
May I not make any ranking at all? I look at people overall, in terms of their humanity. The landscape is so rich!
12. What is a true brand?
A promise which is continuously repeated and continuously held.
13. Can brands have "hearts"?
People have hearts and they sometimes give them to brands, instead of giving them to other people or to values. If the brands cheat on them, they break those hearts.
14. What do you thing about the Enlightening leadership conference concept?
A challenge too tempting to resist.
Interested in sponsoring Business Odyssey? / Email our sales team or call +40 21 411 44 20